During pregnancy, there are a lot of possible benefits of drinking coconut water. It is a healthy, refreshing drink that hydrates our body. It is also a fat-free drink that prevents bloating after food intake and helps in digestion.
During pregnancy, many women tend to experience a lot of bloating, with the coconut water in your system, it aids in balancing the electrolyte in your body and also keeps your blood pressure in check. Although, like every other food, a moderate intake of it is necessary. Overconsumption of it may lead to too much potassium in the bloodstream, which could make the heartbeat change its rhythm, and during pregnancy, this condition is considered critical.
From a time we can’t even remember, coconut water’s nutritional benefits
have been well known by a lot of people including health organizations and Researchers. Many busy pregnant women opt for it, as it’s nutritional value prevents the loss of strength.
14 Possible benefits of Drinking Coconut water during pregnancy
1. Improves Hydration: Pregnant women experience a lot of dehydration during the nine months journey, as their body requires more water. Morning sickness and diarrhea aids dehydration, vomiting too. Even though most causes of dehydration during pregnancy aren’t much, extreme dehydration leads to a lot of birth complications like low breastmilk production, inadequate fluid in the amniotic sac,, and also lose of straight. Coconut has about 95% of pure water, and it’s absolutely a good choice for when you feel dehydrated.
2. Aids in relieving heartburn and constipation: Hormonal change during gestation leads to a condition called heartburn, acid reflux, or indigestion. As your baby grows, and progesterone relaxes, the gestric fluid could go up into your esophagus making you uncomfortable.
It’s a natural acid Naturalizer that helps in detoxification and by so doing helps suit acid reflux and heartburn, and also the fiber content in it may help enhance the digestive system and relieve heartburn and constipation.
3. It is a natural diuretic: As a natural diuretic, it balances the uric acid level. in the body thereby increasing the need to urinate, which is very important during pregnancy, because of the presence of potassium, magnesium, and other minerals. It detoxifies the body and may also reduce the risk of kidney stones.
4. It restores electrolytes from morning sickness and diarrhea: Some pregnant women experience a lot of excessive vomiting and diarrhea, taking coconut water can actually lead to dehydration and loss of fluid. Potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, and phosphorus are the five keys of electrolytes that are contained in it, and it helps enhance the energy and restores the lost electrolytes. Also, electrolyte helps in transmitting the electric charge in our body.
5. May help in fetal development: Whatever you eat while pregnant, your baby will get all the nutrients. So it’s really advisable to eat a balanced diet while carrying a fetus. Doctors always advise you to take your prenatal vitamins. Coconut water gives all the essential nutrients which help in both mother and child growth and development.
It is rich in vital vitamins and antioxidants, which increases the immunity of the expectant mother and helps protect her and her unborn baby.
6. Helps in reducing blood pressure: A lot of women surfers from high blood pressure or preeclampsia during pregnancy, which could be very severe for both mother and child. The potassium in it might act as a protection for those who have high blood pressure because its nutrient contributes in the regulation of blood flow and blood pressure.
A study found out that drinking coconut water reduces systolic blood pressure in pregnant women.
7. Helps Improves healthy weight loss: Because it is fat-free low in calories and cholesterol, it helps in exterminating the bad cholesterols in the body and it also stops the pilling up of fat in the body. By so doing, it helps keep you in healthy shape.
As you add extra weight during pregnancy, taking a good amount of it could help prevent you from overweight, and also substituting it from all the sugary drinks can also help control hunger torment in pregnancy.
8. Natural Energy booster: A lot of pregnant women find it really difficult to stay awake during the day, knowing not to opt for coffee because of the caffeine content in it. Coconut water is the best option, but I know that coconut water in place of coffee isn’t that good but, taking coconut water boosts energy naturally because of the nutrients that it contains.
9. Fights infection: Coconut water contains lauric acid, which helps fight harmful bacteria. During pregnancy, you are expected to frequent the bathroom, but you will sleep in the bathroom if you have a urinary tract infection during pregnancy. Coconut water has an antibacterial and antifungal effect on urinary tract infection.
10. Natural and healthier drink: Coconut water is made without added sugar harmful component nor any artificial sweetener, that a lot of people opt for. Studies have shown that drinking it doesn’t upset the stomach or cause nausea.
It’s a smart choice to go for it, as it hydrates and keeps the body refreshed. Studies also encourage pregnant women to stay away from coconut water that contains artificial sweeteners, for they cease hydration and adds unneeded fats to the body.
11. Better drinking choice for post-workout: Although during pregnancy you are not expected to do excessive workouts that will dehydrate and drain all your strength, leaving you all panting and sweaty. But the normal daily workout section, recommended by your physician do dehydrate, that’s why you are encouraged to drink coconut water because it is a natural isotopic drink that gives energy and rehydrates. Hydration increases the elasticity of the skin which helps impair stretch marks caused by pregnancy.
Unlike other sports drinks, coconut water contains more amount of potassium. The potassium content in it helps fend off muscle cramps and balance the fluid and electrolytes in the body.
12. Low sugar and fat: It contains less sugar and fat than most juice. Too much intake of sugar can cause blood sugar to soar up. The low sugar content in it lowers the risk of gestational diabetes and will not add any unnecessary pregnancy weight.
13. Helps improve the level of the fluid in the amniotic sac: Taking it during the third trimester helps improve blood volume and boosts the level of amniotic fluid. The blood volume in your body raises during pregnancy, coconut water helps improve the circulation of blood throughout the body by lowering the heartbeat.
14. Overall protection for mother and fetus: Researchers found out that coconut water gives immunity to mother and child against maternal high fat. Even though they still need more research to prove their claim, they also found out that the maternal diet has an effect on the growth and development of an unborn baby.
Although it benefits women during pregnancy, it’s also necessary to consider moderation, for it is the key to all food intake.
Coconut water is said to help induce labor, but it’s not yet scientifically proven.
There are a lot of myths about the benefits of coconut water during pregnancy that you should be also a way of, such as…
a) Making your baby’s hair grow rapidly.
b) Clear skin for baby.
c) Giving birth to a baby boy. and so on
The fact that coconut water helps a lot during pregnancy doesn’t make it a miracle drink. It is a safe and natural drink for a happy pregnancy.
It doesn’t make your baby’s hair to grow rapidly, neither does it clear baby skin nor give you a baby boy, they are all myths.
There is no connection between coconut water and the rapid growth of the fetus’s hair. Though it might help clear your skin,, that of baby’s, is another issue. This is actually the height of it, there is absolutely no way that coconut water could help you give birth to a baby boy, these are coconut water myths.
Coconut water is really good for pregnant women but consult with your physician before you take it.
ALSO, READ Foods that will increase Fertility (BOOSTER)